11.01.2010

9 Degree Tree Skirt

Seriously - WHAT AM I THINKING?! Smack in the middle of That Girl's Quilt Along I've suddenly got it in my brain that this is the year to make my own tree skirt. I have to say that I think I'm crazy, but I think this is going to be fabulous! 

It's got a little more white than I imagined, and there sure isn't very much green...

I've got it sandwiched and pinned and ready to quilt. I'm thinking a stipple pattern. Maybe a meandering loop.

Oh the possibilities!

November 3
Hah! I finished it last night - except I forgot to stitch on ties. I'll post a photo of the finished project as soon as I locate that sneaky battery charger and the camera batteries are working again.

Decided to enter it in the Blogger's Quilt Festival. If you're stopping by from the festival - Hello!

So - here's what I learned while doing this tree skirt:
  • I could have and should have done this much sooner than I did
  • When you have the tools, it's much easier (holy 9 degree ruler! what have I done without you?!)
  • Even my boys are interested in what I'm doing when they hear "CHRISTMAS!"
  • I really had to pay attention to catch all of those corners
  • I need to remind myself that busy patterns don't always work well in small doses
The story of this quilted tree skirt is:

Last year I was making that pizza table topper for my MIL for Christmas (still one of my favorites - ever!), and I decided that there had to be an easier way to make a round table topper. I googled and googled and found Jen. By blog stalking I found out the name of the town where Jen lives. It's a town of about 35-40,000 people. Not small but not huge.

I also enjoy doing family history research, and a few months ago I stumbled across a line of ancestors whose names had been submitted by a woman who lives in the same town as Jen. How funny is that? Reinforces what a small world we live in and that when we're all nice to each other it's a much more enjoyable place to be.

Anyway - Jen was my inspiration, and now that I've finished one tree skirt, I'm thinking I'd like to do a quilt made from some of her quilts on barns series.

7 comments:

  1. L.O.V.E. it! Especially the colors!
    YOU AMAZE ME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I've been on the search for the perfect tree skirt for years. It never occurred to me to make my own. Actually, it still doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so beautiful and how carefully the squares all line up! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! What was the name of the pattern or did you design it on your own??

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool! Love your quilt! Please tell me where you found the pattern! Beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a wonderful idea. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tree skirt is FABULOUS! Aren't you glad you went a little crazy??

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails