5.05.2010

Epic Failure

On May 16, 2008 we bought a brand new Maytag Epic Z Washer and Dryer. Coming up on the 2-yr anniversary of front loading ownership.

This was monumental for my sweet Jonathan. He's not a big ticket item purchaser. To make this happen, I researched brands, prices, vendors, and rebates. Our laundry duo was purchased at a home store for about $200 less than I could find them elsewhere. Throw in the manufacturer, store, and energy rebates, and I had found a deal that was too good to pass up. Well, you know what happens when things are too good to be true? Uh-huh...

The first day that I used the washing machine, it locked up on me. This resulted in VERY STANKY LAUNDRY, which was fixed as described here.

Ever since the locking event, I've been wary of this washing machine. This is not a good thing when you do as many loads of laundry as are done in my house. Every. Single. Day. This past weekend I realized that if there were more than one pair of jeans (eventually even one pair of jeans - or one t-shirt!) in the tumbler there was no tumbling going on. It was like a wet blanket party - whole lotta noise, but not a whole lotta action.

I have some fabulous neighbors who washed, dried, AND FOLDED!!! an entire load of jeans for me. While the jeans were next door I got online to research the Epic problem. I found the part that seemed to be the culprit, and on Saturday afternoon Griffin and I took a drive to The Appliance Store to buy said part. Jon and his dad could tackle the part replacing - right? The helpful gentleman behind the counter said it was not a job for amateurs and figured that it was going to be around $400 to fix my washer.

SO. NOT. GOING. TO. HAPPEN.

I came home. Went to KSL Classifieds and found a 2-yr-old top loading Maytag for $75! That's right $75! Not that I wanted to spend $75 on a "new" washing machine, but it's a good feeling to have something that works and can't keep me away from my clothes.

Monday night for FHE, Jon, the boys, and I sorted our mountains (and that's absolutely accurate - ask my mom or my neighbor Gary) of clean clothes and got them all to the owner's rooms. Notice that I did not say that they are all put away. Griffin's laundry is done, and I have an entire 33 gal size garbage bag full of too-small items to prove it. Carson & Evan's room on the other hand? I'm scared of what lurks in there!

It is so nice to walk into my laundry room and see an empty counter. Almost enough to make it stay that way.

But that would mean that I'd have to fold and put away laundry.

SO. NOT. GOING. TO. HAPPEN.

Tell me - which is it that's an EPIC laundry failure? Me? Or that piece of crap that's sitting in my garage?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails